Help with Immigration Status

If you are subjected to domestic abuse and your immigration status is currently linked to or dependent on your abuser, help is here.  You can apply for immigration permission in your own right.

Making an application for independent status as a victim of domestic violence

  • Applications must be made while you are in Ireland. You should have some form of current immigration status (as the dependent of an Irish national or of a foreign national who has immigration permission to live in Ireland). If your immigration status has lapsed, an application can still be made but it will have to be clearly explained in the application why the permission was not renewed.
  • Applications should be made in writing to Unit 2, Domestic Residence and Permissions Division (previously General Immigration), 13/14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2.
  • There is no application fee. In the event of the application being successful the normal registration fee will be applied.
  • The application, which can be made through a solicitor or directly by you, should set out details of the domestic violence and make a request for independent immigration status. Any relevant family circumstances, especially whether there are any children involved, should be disclosed, including information on whether you or the perpetrator has left the family home.

Evidence to support application

For the Immigration Service Delivery (IDS) to fully consider your application for independent status under this policy, it will be necessary to supply as much information as possible in support of your claim that you are a victim of domestic violence. The sort of documents that would be helpful in establishing this would include (original documents required):

  • Protection Order, Safety Order or Barring Order from the Courts
  • Medical reports indicating injuries consistent with domestic violence. Details of doctor and dates of consultation should be supplied
  • A Garda report of incidents of domestic violence
  • A letter from a State body (such as the Health Service Executive) indicating that it is dealing with your case as an issue of domestic violence
  • A letter of support from a domestic violence support organisation
  • Any other evidence indicating that you are the victim of domestic violence

Immigration categories for victims of domestic violence

Generally the immigration status granted would be the same as that which was previously held as a dependent (normally Stamp 3). The main difference is that this status is no longer dependent on the spouse or partner and that person will have no say in whether you are permitted to stay in Ireland. If it is necessary for you to work to support yourself or family members lawfully residing in the State, consideration will be given to granting permission to work.

All decisions are at the Minister’s discretion.

Who can help?

Women’s Aid

Women’s Aid can support you as you go through this process.  Call us today on our 24hr National Freephone Helpline 1800 341 900.  If English is not your first language, we can provide support in your language.

Immigrant Council of Ireland Community Navigators

Community Navigators are community members who receive specialised training to provide information for their communities in an empowering and effective way. Community navigators are also liaisons between their community, legal service providers, social service organisations and other support services available. Read more about Community Navigators.

A number of other agencies also offer support, advice and advocacy for immigrants (including economic migrants, asylum seekers and refugees) living in Ireland including on issues such as residency rights, family reunification and access to employment. These include:

More information:

Immigration Service Delivery (IDS) Victims of Domestic Violence Immigration Guidelines (PDF)