Help with Money

If a current or former partner is interfering with your money or other economic resources in some way to limit your choices, you are experiencing economic abuse.

Useful information and support

You may be worried about whether you’ll have enough money to live on if you separate from your partner.  It might be that your abuser has controlled all of the household finances, has coerced you into debt or you have been looking after children and are not in paid work.  Your ex-partner may be withholding child maintenance payments.

A basic bank account is a current account that provides essential daily banking services. Everyone has the right to a bank account, no matter their financial situation. Having your own bank account means you can control your own money.  All retail banks in Ireland provide a basic bank account with the same core features – receiving money, making payments, making lodgments and withdrawals and a debit card.

More information on the Basic Bank Account

The law is that  parents, whether married or unmarried, must provide for (or ‘maintain’) dependent children (within their means).  Maintenance can be paid weekly, fortnightly or monthly or in a lump sum. Paying maintenance does not in itself give a parent access or guardianship rights.

In situations where parents are separated, they can make informal agreements regarding maintenance.  If the parents cannot agree upon maintenance, either parent can apply to court for a Maintenance Order. 

If you are seeking a Maintenance Order you can go to your local District Court and get the Court Clerk to issue a Maintenance Summons against the other parent. 

More information on Child Maintenance Orders and Agreements.

The social welfare system in Ireland is divided into three main types of payments. These are:

  • Social insurance payments
  • Means-tested payments
  • Universal payments

With all social welfare payments, you must meet the circumstances that are set out in the rules for each scheme.  If you wish to apply for a particular social welfare payment, you should contact your Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office for an application form and an information leaflet. You can also request application forms online.

When you apply for a social welfare payment, you will be asked to supply or register for a Public Services Card. You may also need your Personal Public Service (PPS) number.

Community Welfare Services are provided by Community Welfare Officers (CWOs) who work for the Department of Social Protection.  The majority of the work carried out by Community Welfare Officers involves the administration of the Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme.

This scheme provides additional income to persons who have either no income or insufficient income to meet basic requirements. Some advice is given to clients in relation to household budgeting. It is through the community welfare service that the Community Welfare Officers (CWO) can be contacted.  The CWO can give supplementary welfare payments while you are waiting for social welfare to come through; it is therefore advisable for applicants to bring copies of bills and also copies of Maintenance Orders).

More information on the Community Welfare Service.

Citizen’s Information Centres provide a free, confidential and impartial information service to the public on their rights and entitlements including social welfare, income support and rent supplement.

Click here for a list of local Citizen Information Centres.

Telephone: 1890 777 121 (lo-call) Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm.

M.A.B.S offers free, confidential, independent financial advice. It helps people who are in debt or are at risk of getting into debt. There are offices nationwide. M.A.B.S.s does not lend money, but they can contact agencies such as electricity and gas suppliers, credit unions, banks, etc. to negotiate new debt repayment agreements on behalf of individuals.

More information on M.A.B.S.