We have listed some warning signs below to help you make sense of your situation. Any of the following signs is serious. You do not need to experience several, or all of them, to indicate domestic abuse.
Common Warning Signs of Domestic Abuse
Your partner or ex-partner:
- Complains that you spend too much time with friends and family and make you feel guilty if you don’t spend all your free time with them
- Sends you constant texts and get mad if you don’t respond right away
- Tells you how to dress, criticise your clothes and undermine how you think or feel
- They have a bad temper and you feel afraid to disagree with them
- Accuses you of cheating on them all the time
- Asks for all your passwords so they can check your messages
- Pressures or coerces you to do things sexually that you don’t want to do
- Are physically violent to you
- Controls your access to basic essentials such as the car, the family finances, food, the telephone and internet
- Threatens to hurt you, themselves or others if you end the relationship
All of these signs are serious. You do not need to experience several, or all of them, to indicate domestic abuse.
You are not alone. Talk to us if you are experiencing any form of domestic abuse.