Cold Swim for Women
Take on our Cold Swim for Women Challenge and show your support for the thousands of women who are suffering from domestic abuse in Ireland.
Get out and brave a cold swim on 6th January, the day we celebrate women’s Christmas, Nollaig na mBan, and show support and solidarity for women escaping domestic violence.
By taking on the challenge and raising funds for Women’s Aid, you will help us to continue to be there for the next woman who needs our support.
How do I sign up?
To make sure you are ready, complete these three simple steps:
- Register for your free Women’s Aid woolly hat and create your own Cold Swim for Women Facebook Fundraising Page: https://givp.nl/register/IcFB0hBI
- Join our Cold Swim for Women Facebook group to share your progress and support everyone taking part: https://www.facebook.com/groups/797371114698509
- Share your fundraising page with family, friends and colleagues and ask them to sponsor you and support you on your journey.
Any questions? Take a look at our FAQs below, or email Emma on email@example.com
How does the Cold Swim for Women Challenge work?
- The Challenge is to go for a cold swim on the 6th of January and raise funds for Women’s Aid.
- You must register by noon on December 30th to receive your pack in time for the challenge.
- This is a personal fundraising challenge. You do this in your own time and link in with the Facebook group, or get a group of friends involved and take it on together.
- To get started you will need to create your own Cold Swim for Women Challenge fundraising page here: https://givepanel.me/fb/BQWmzb1d
When will I get my Fundraising pack?
You should receive your fundraising pack with your Women’s Aid woolly hat by January 6th. Please note that packs are being delivered by An Post who are experiencing severe delays at the moment so if your pack takes a little longer than usual please don’t worry, it is on the way. The closing date to register for your pack is therefore noon on Friday the 30th of December, if you register after this date, you may not get your pack in time for the challenge.
Please note there is limited availability of stock, so register now to avoid disappointment.
What is a Facebook Fundraiser page?
- It is a page you can create in under a minute within Facebook and raise money for Women’s Aid. Your friends will see that you have created it and will see every time you post a picture or update to the fundraiser.
- All the money raised on your Facebook Fundraising page comes directly to Women’s Aid
How does iDonate Fundraising work?
- If you prefer to raise money off Facebook you can set up your Cold Swim for Women Challenge online fundraising page over at iDonate.ie and share the link with your friends and family.
- All of the money raised on your iDonate fundraising page will come directly to Women's Aid.
If I raise money offline how do I get that money to Women’s Aid?
Once you have collected your sponsorship you can
- Donate via our www.womensaid.ie/donate and make sure to select ‘Cold Swim’ from the What Prompted You to Donate menu
- Lodge directly to our bank:
Account: Women’s Aid, Current Account
Bank: Newlands Cross, Dublin 22
IBAN: IE95 BOFI 9001 2173 0628 78
Reference: Cold Swim & your name
- Return amount by cheque or postal order made payable to Women's Aid at: Women’s Aid, 5 Wilton Place, Dublin 2, D02 RR27.
- You can also donate the sponsorship directly via your own fundraiser on Facebook or iDonate.ie.
How can I encourage donations on my online fundraiser?
- Share your Facebook Fundraising page loud and proud, you’re doing something amazing so make sure to let everyone know.
- Post our Cold Swim for Women Challenge graphics on your fundraising page to encourage donations and let everyone know why donating to Women’s Aid is so important to you.
- Ask others in the Facebook group how they are raising funds.
Do I have to post when I have completed my Cold Swim for Women Challenge?
- Make sure to post on your personal Facebook Fundraiser page once you have completed your Challenge. And then for extra motivation, post it to the Cold Swim for Women Challenge Facebook group so that everybody else can be inspired by your Challenge.
- In order to issue you with your exclusive Challenge Completion Pack we need to be able to see that you’ve completed the Challenge.
Can I take on the Challenge on an alternative date?
- The idea is that we all do this together on the 6th of January 2023, on Nollaig na mBan.
- However, if your personal circumstances mean that you cannot take part on the 6th of January, it is absolutely fine to take on the Challenge on a date that suits you.
Can a refund be issued if the wrong amount was donated or a donation was made in error?
Unfortunately, we can’t issue refunds through Facebook but people can request themselves from Facebook by following the below steps:
Send them to: https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/162031714239823
Select – I donated to a fundraiser on Facebook
Select – I want a refund for my donation(s)
Select – I made a donation by accident. Find their donation in the dropdown and request the refund.
You can also use this link if you have any other query about your Facebook fundraising page
My friend / work colleagues would like to complete the Challenge also, how do they do this?
If someone you know would also like to take part in our Cold Swim for Women Challenge they will need to follow the same registration steps:
Register for your Challenge pack and create your fundraising page: https://givepanel.me/fb/BQWmzb1d
Join the Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/797371114698509
However, if you are fundraising together then don’t worry about setting up separate fundraising pages. Please email us details of your group to firstname.lastname@example.org
What safety tips do you have for the Cold Swim?
- Make sure it’s safe to take on your cold swim on the day, keep an eye on the weather conditions and local guidelines! We’ll also post updates in the Facebook Group ahead of the Challenge.
- Bring a friend or family member along with you. Why not get gather a group of friends or family and take on a cold swim together.
- Get into the water slowly and don’t stay in for too long as it will be very cold!
- Never go beyond your comfort zone!
- Plan your swim in daylight hours and avoid swimming in the dark
- It’s an icy Challenge so there’s no doubt you’ll be cold after your swim so make sure to bring some warm clothes, a blanket, gloves and of course you’re Women’s Aid woolly hat along with you!
- A good way to warm up quickly can be to sip on a hot drink, so bring a flask of tea or coffee to enjoy after you take on your Cold Swim.
Please note, by signing up to the challenge you’re doing so at your own risk, and all participants are responsible for assessing their own risk and safety. If you aren’t used to swimming at this time of the year, please read Swim Ireland’s helpful information before you plan your swim here .
What do I receive upon completion of challenge?
At the end of the month everyone will be asked to register for the exclusive Challenge certificate and Women's Aid supporter pin which will be posted to you.
Further questions? Get in touch
We’re here to support you every step of the way, if you have any questions please post a comment in the Cold Swim for Women Challenge Facebook group or email us at email@example.com and we’ll do our best to help.