Instant Messaging Support Service
The Women's Aid National Helpline Instant Messaging Service is free, confidential and secure.
Daily Opening Hours:
This service is available by clicking the purple speech icon called 'Talk to the helpline':
- Monday to Friday 10am – 1pm and 7pm to 10pm.
- Saturday 12pm to 3pm and 7pm to 10pm.
- Sunday 11am – 1pm and 7pm to 10pm.
New to instant messaging? Here's what you need to know:
Instant Messaging Tips
- Take your time and remember that it can take longer to type than speak. Wait for a response from something you have typed before adding more.
- Be careful with the use of abbreviations. It is important that there is an understanding on both sides around words or phrases used.
- Currently the only language available is English. If you require support in a language other than English then please contact the helpline on 1800 341 900 between the hours of 8am to 8pm.
- Never send personal information via the Instant Messaging Support Service. When making a referral for a local domestic violence support services we may ask you to provide us the county which you reside in, which will enable us send you the correct information.
- Don’t disclose any identifiable information about yourself or others.
Site Usage Rules
Instant Message Users
- Do not post personal information, about yourself or anyone else. Do not identify a perpetrator by name or location.
- Do not look for medical advice.
- Do not link to offensive/sexually explicit sites.
- Do not advertise/promote services.
- Do not pretend to be someone else.
- If you are under 18 then please let us know so we can make an appropriate referral to services which deal specifically with minors.
- This service is for users based in the Republic of Ireland only.
If you violate the terms and conditions for using the Instant Messaging Support Service, Women’s Aid may terminate the chat session.
If we are made aware of any child protection concerns we have a duty to report these to the appropriate authority. Please be aware that Women’s Aid operates under the Children First National Guidance for the Protection and Welfare of Children 2017.
Service Users Policies
- The Women's Aid Confidentiality policy and complaints policy are available here.