Hair and Beauty Industry Awareness Campaign
Women’s Aid and HABIC have teamed up to address the issue of domestic abuse in over 2,500 salons across the country.
What will the new partnership do?
- The new partnership aims to build a greater understanding and knowledge of domestic violence and abuse among hair and beauty professionals.
- It will create awareness with salon customers and employees on the prevalence, nature of domestic abuse and support pathways that are available.
- The partnership also aims to educate staff about how to recognise the signs of abuse, how to respond in a supportive way and how to signpost customers to the Women’s Aid 24hr National Freephone Helpline.
- In addition to this, information will be displayed in staff areas, to support salon employees that may be victims of abuse.
Awareness Campaign Activity
- From Monday 15th November 2021, HABIC member salons will receive packs containing resource materials to support and educate teams and clients, including posters outlining the ten common signs of domestic abuse.
- In addition to this, stickers will be displayed on mirrors containing QR codes that will direct salon customers to the 24hr National Freephone Helpline and the Women’s Aid website.
- Women’s Aid has also given an information seminar to staff on who to recognise abuse, how to respond and what help is available. You can watch the webinar here - https://vimeo.com/635211210).
Why this matters
- One in four women experience domestic abuse from a current partner or ex.
- In 2020, 29,717 contacts were made with Women’s Aid’s frontline services, during which 24,893 disclosures of domestic abuse against women including coercive control were made. Support workers also heard 5,948 disclosures of abuse against children.
- The reality is that thousands of women are being subjected to high levels of emotional, physical, sexual and economic abuse every day, at the hands of the person who is supposed to care for and respect them.
- These statistics represent a 43% increase in the numbers of women reaching out to Women’s Aid for support during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The majority of salon clients and the 89% of employees in the hair and beauty industry are women.
10 Common Signs of Domestic Abuse
Download the Materials